April 3, 2013

Surgery Day


Today is my descending colectomy laparoscopic surgery with urethral stints. In layman’s terms, it’s colon resection surgery. Now, let me answer the obvious question first. Yes, I am scared.

I’ve had six surgeries in my lifetime. All of them took place just before and after the age of 40. My advice to everyone, don’t turn 40 because that’s when the surgeries seem to start. For me it began with a simple tubal ligation about a year after my youngest was born. My ex was chicken shit so he never got around to getting a vasectomy – hence my third was born. I love all my kids deeply, but I did not want a fourth and the tubal became necessary. That was followed by a bunionectomy on each foot one in 2002 and one in 2003. After that, a partial hysterectomy in 2004 (I kept my ‘vitals’ since I wasn’t ready for full on menopause). Then my gallbladder was removed around 2006, followed by my knee surgery in 2011. All were done laparoscopic for which I am very grateful!

Even after all those surgeries, I am still feeling quite apprehensive about this one. Hell, you’d think I would be a seasoned pro by now! It’s the damn C word. For some reason the word cancer changes EVERYTHING. In my mind, the force is with me. I believe I’ll come out on the other side of this with a story to tell my grandkids someday. How could I not? The love of my life is by my side, cheering me on every step of the way!

I wake up a few hours later. For the next 24 hours I am floating in a morphine cloud. My Greg is sweet to update my facebook page so everyone who is praying for me knows that I am OK. So far... so good! I do remember going in, but coming out, not so much. I’m still foggy... so foggy I was sure Greg said Dr. N. also took my ovaries out. Took my ovaries out too?  What? I know they aren't the most attractive ovaries based on my CT Scan, but take them out?  Guess it’s good bye cancer. Hello menopause.


My sweetie snuggled up with me in my hospital bed ~ love! 

For anyone curious about colon cancer surgery just click here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment