May 2, 2013

Spiritual Reflection or Plain Ol' Over Thinking


I may have mentioned that I like to over think things. I’m not sure if that’s an A.D.D. trait or what. On my drive to work I wondered why I got cancer. There must be some deeper meaning in all this.

I was raised Catholic, however I am not a practicing Catholic. I haven’t totally denounced my upbringing, but through the years I have grown to consider myself more of a spiritual person than a religious person when it comes to my beliefs. I don’t believe one religion is better than another. In fact, I tend to embrace aspects from many religions, my own spiritual buffet if you will. I do believe in only one God, that is a given.

I do have this inherent certainty that God does not give us more than we can handle. So for some reason God feels I can handle my cancer and the impending chemotherapy. With that in mind, I wonder why I got cancer in the first place and I’m guessing, everyone who gets cancer thinks the same thing. This brings me to the second part of my belief; I am supposed to learn an important lesson from my cancer journey. I create daily laundry lists in my head of the possible lessons to learn.

In turn I wonder if I manifested this in my own life. Is it the emotional baggage I’ve carried around since childhood? Could it be the stress of a highly charged marriage and an overly demanding career that finally caught up with me? Or is really just the luck of the draw in a genetic poker game?

As you can see, this over thinking is a bitch that  I need to kick to the curb and leave along the roadside to fend for her self. My lesson today? Start meditating and clear these thoughts out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment