September 20, 2013

Be Your Own Advocate! By Guest blogger: Sue

I apologize for being behind on my guest bloggers. It's been a whirlwind two weeks of low blood counts, denied chemo treatments and then finally getting chemo two weeks late, thus putting me behind my schedule of returning to my old self. It's frustrating to say the least. I should know better than to think I could make it through without a hiccup. 

Today's guest blogger is another high school buddy of mine, Sue. It's frightening to me how many of our classmates & their families have been touched directly by cancer. It is a great wake up call that we all need to continually contribute to the cause and finding a cure! It's also a great reminder that we need to keep ourselves healthy and take preventative measures. 

Thank you, Sue, for your beautiful and honest contribution below. 
I love ya, girlie!! xo

+++++++++++++
Sue's Bio:  Soon to be 50 year old ( really? how the heck did that happen?) wife of 26 years, and mother of 2 pretty cool kids. I am a Minnesotan at heart, but now live in the First State (Delaware for those who don't remember their history!)


So… Linda asked if I would step in as guest blogger for her next round of Chemo.  I’ve started and stopped, and started again, and here I am, watching NFL Redzone (best idea EVER) still not sure what I should write.  My first few attempts sounded like blah, blah, cancer, blah, blah, cancer.  So, now, I’ll keep this short. You all don’t need to know the in’s and out’s of my cancer journey, so I’ll just give you the basics.

I’ll start by saying that I have been cancer free for 8 years  I never thought I’d say that.  Since I was first diagnosed with breast cancer at 22, I have had several more cancerous and pre-cancerous breast tumors removed throughout my 20’s and 30’s.  Along the way I was also diagnosed with endometrial and colon cancer.  All before I was 40.
     
My life is proof that early diagnosis is key.  I want to take this opportunity to urge everyone of you to listen to your body, and if you don’t think something is right, and you aren’t getting the answers you need, YOU need to persist.  Get a 2nd opinion, push for additional testing, and never stop asking questions.  This is your life. I am an extremely introverted person, if I can push for additional testing and procedures, anyone can.  And those of us who have either had cancer ourselves, or have close family and friends that have battled cancer – speak up!  Awareness is so important.  Not many people know about my cancer, I didn’t want to worry anyone, didn’t want cancer to define who I am.  But, keeping this to myself doesn’t encourage others to get their screenings, seek additional help, or provide hope.  

Cancer sucks.  It has affected each and every one of us in some way or another.  We need to encourage each other, be there for our friends, our family, and take control of our own health.  Linda, in sharing her courageous cancer journey, has given us all a gift.  Unfortunately, it’s often not until we are faced with a devastating diagnosis that we are reminded how fragile life is.  Let’s use this gift and spread the importance of early diagnosis and treatment.  

Thanks Linda for sharing your journey!

Sue and her beautiful family 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this page with us - Enjoyed reading it alot. If you can please visit our http://www.claimjustice.co.uk/location-darlington-115.aspx and leave some feedback, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete