July 27, 2013

Hair Today - Gone Tomorrow


I'm not a real fan of those who are all talk and no action, yet I feel I've become one of those people. Yeah, here I go again about the hair. I have to say to all my friends out there who gave me encouragement and told me my new doos look great, I appreciate that but unfortunately I can't say I agree. Right now my hair has strictly become a matter of practicality and I hate that. 

Any woman will attest, hair is a number one priority! After a quick Internet search I found that the average woman spends $50,000 on her hair in her lifetime! Sounds crazy but I'm guessing some of us will go WAY BEYOND that mark! I know personally (and fearfully) I am one that will exceed that mark. This is where Greg will likely wish I was permanently bald! 

Just for fun, let's break it down: 
1. Cut and style $65. Since I like long hair I would likely do this about 4 times a year for a total of $260 
2. Hair products. I saw a figure on the Internet that says the average woman spends $300 a year on products. Sadly that sounds accurate. 
3. Color. Depending on the amount of color, how many different colors and/or amount of highlights prices can range dramatically. I would say I average about $95 a visit. Thanks to gray hair I also visit my coiffure every 6-7 weeks which is roughly 8.5 times year for a total of  $807.50
4. Speciality hair care. To me this is where my Keratin Treatments come in to play. Other speciality hair care could be updos, braids, conditioning treatments, etc. I get a deal on my Keratin treatments because my friend/stylist, the lovely Miss Erin, does it on the side for an average price of $250 a time, most salons charge upwards of $600 for this same treatment. For those who don't know, Keratin takes crazy curly hair like mine and makes it silky smooth and straight - way more manageable in the Florida humidity too! Plus, the brand Erin uses on me is free of those toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, unlike some brands.  Luckily I only get Keratin once or twice a year for a total of $500

This brings the grand total to $1,867.50 (before tips). Take that over a life time (roughly age 18 - 70) and that is 52 years of haircare which is a total of $97,110 in my lifetime!! Now grant it I haven't been so picky about my hair in my early years, old photos from the 80's will attest to that, and I likely won't be getting Keratin when I'm in my 60's … but damn, that is one scary figure. Ask me if I'd change anything about my hair care routine to save some coin here and there I'd say NO WAY. Hair is one of the first things people see when they meet you aside from your face. I know what I spend on make up is about 3% of what I spend on hair so to me that off sets the exorbitant price. 
BEFORE: Alex's show of solidarity 6 weeks ago ... it has quickly grown back!
AFTER: Looking good with Kate. All Alex's hair has grown back quickly. 
You're probably saying, "Thanks for the economics of hair lesson, Linda, but where the heck are you going with all this?" Well, I'll tell you. I've touted my 10 reasons to go bald on an earlier blog, I've purchased my short and sassy Raquel Welsh wig (that would be another $295 to add to my list above) and I'm still not bald. Why? That crazy, thick, curly hair that I cursed for SOOOOO many years has now become a big bonus. I'd say I have about 40% of the hair I had pre-cancer. The short-short angled bob haircut I got about 8 weeks ago is gone and I'm now sporting a cut that frighteningly resembles my mother's hair. Although my son says I now look like Ted Danson with this cut! LOL. I just couldn't handle seeing all the hair on the bathroom floor, in the tub, all over my pillow. Now that it's shorter it's not as noticeable when it's falling out and it's still falling out and will continue to through October. 


After my shampoo. 
my new shorter cut
This hair dilemma has now turned into a game with me. Where I once thought I would be bald by now or have had the courage to just shave it all off, I no longer feel that way. I want to see how long I can go before my head looks like a fraternity prank gone bad. So, stay tuned folks and watch my hair today work its way off my head. I'm currently taking bets on baldness, so pick a date and we'll see who wins! 
BETS ON BALDNESS: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES, WHO ARE AGE 18 YEARS OR OLDER. Limit one (1) entry per participant. Participation constitutes entrant’s full unconditional agreement and acceptance of the Official Rules. Void where prohibited by law. One (1) total winners will be selected. Estimated odds of winning are dependent upon date of hair loss. If entry via web or phone is not possible, participants may send a 3x5 postcard containing name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address to: When Will Linda Go Bald, 555 Park Avenue, Clearwater,  FL 33576. One (1) Winners will be selected to receive one (1) congratulatory email and your likeness featured on the Finding Zen with Cancer blog. No alternative prize, cash equivalent, or other substitution is permitted. Prize is nontransferable. Winner is responsible for all taxes, and all fees associated with the use of the prize. Sweepstakes participants agree to hold Linda harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind in connection with the Sweepstakes. Other limitations may apply. See Official Rules for full version of these official rules and details.


1 comment: