July 10, 2013

Mother Nature's Miracle

I laid awake, sick to my stomach, all last night. Consequently I had plenty of time to think. I was recalling a recent conversation with a couple friends about medical Marijuana. To date there are 18 states that can legally sell marijuana by prescription: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. In most states, although legal, the way the law is written is convoluted. 


Anyway…. the conversation revolved around the use of marijuana for cancer patients. These two friends cited countless circumstances where marijuana was a Godsend to family and friends that had fallen victim to cancer. Chemotherapy is brutal. Each cancer has a different set of chemo drugs. What one person may take for breast cancer is very different than what I take for colon cancer. Regardless, they all have side effects and they are all equally nasty. Hence medical marijuana would offer great relief to many chemo patients. Chemotherapy patients and their loved ones that I've talked to during the past few months are managing to get hook up with nurse Mary Jane whether legal or not. Usually it's a younger relative that will offer assistance to the folks my generation and older, so they can get mother natures miracle. In the end, every single person told me that they were grateful they did.


After all that I heard, I'm dismayed and amazed that all states haven't adopted the law. I know there are more diseases that would benefit from medical marijuana and sadly all these folks need to go without or illegally seek comfort. I certainly could have used some last night. Sadly, Florida won't consider the bill until 2014 and I hope to make caner a very distant memory by then! 

1 comment:

  1. It's legal here! Medical and non medical, anyone can buy it. A woman in Boulder was arrested for dying her cats hair pink for breast cancer awareness - but you can buy weed. Go figure!
    Love you, Mindy

    ReplyDelete